near Fairmont, North Carolina (United States)
Viewed 507 times, downloaded 1 times
A once quaint neighborhood has rapidly become home to numerous college students with the rise of student housing in the area.
Hillsborough Street has undergone a gentrification and developmental project being numerous student housing and shopping/dining expansion.
DH Hill Library - NCSU
The current DH Hill Library is the third building at North Carolina State University to house NCSU Libraries. The library stands 11 stories tall, and is the result of four stages of additions and construction.
Historic State Fairgrounds Site
This area situated North of NC State University was once home to the State Fairgrounds. This location was the second of three, prior to its current site in 1928. The area is now home to the Hillsborough Street residential and shopping district.
Memorial Belltower - NCSU
NC State’s Memorial Belltower was originally built to pay tribute to those who fell in past conflict, the Belltower has become a symbol of inspiration to the Wolfpack Community. The stonework was completed in 1937 thanks to the Works Progress Administration.
Gregg Museum - NCSU
Once home to North Carolina State University’s Chancellor, the property (adjacent to Pullen Park) is now home to the University’s Art Museum.
Pullen Memorial Baptist Church
Moved to its current location in 1923, the church began in 1884 as a mission of First Baptist Church. It renamed itself in 1913 after the death of John T. Pullen, who had been a lay leader of the church.
Saint Mary’s School
Founded in 1842, Saint Mary’s school is a private independent Episcopal college-preparatory, boarding and day school for girls in grades K-12. The school is the oldest continuously operating school in Raleigh, and the third oldest girls’ school in the state. Additionally it is the fifth oldest girls’ boarding/day school in the United States.
NC GOP Office
Home of the NC Republican Party (NCGOP) is the affiliate of the Republican Party in North Carolina. Robin Hayes, a former congressmen and state party chairman, was elected Chairman of the party on April 30, 2016.
Tompkins Hall - NCSU
The original Tompkins Hall was the first textile building on campus, designed to resemble the latest turn-of-the-century cotton mills. The building was destroyed in a fire in 1914, and the current structure featured a tower intended to hold a water tank, until it was removed in 1981 during a renovation for the College of Humanities and Social Science.
Nelson Hall - NCSU
This building on the northwest of campus was constructed, after much controversy, in what had once been a pecan grove. From 1938 until 1991, it was the home of the School of Textiles. As NC State has maintained its reputation as one of the best textile schools in the nation, Nelson Hall has been enlarged repeatedly. Today, the building houses the College of Management and the Department of Agricultural and Resource Economics.
A local favorite, this spot offers a hidden gem for young professionals and students living in the University Park area!