Hermon, Karmrashen, Herher, Herher Water Reservoir


Trail photos

Photo ofHermon, Karmrashen, Herher, Herher Water Reservoir Photo ofHermon, Karmrashen, Herher, Herher Water Reservoir Photo ofHermon, Karmrashen, Herher, Herher Water Reservoir


Trail stats

21.28 mi
Elevation gain
2,241 ft
Technical difficulty
Elevation loss
3,196 ft
Max elevation
7,297 ft
Min elevation
4,320 ft
Trail type
One Way
3 hours 18 minutes
December 14, 2016
June 2016
Be the first to clap
7,297 ft
4,320 ft
21.28 mi

near Kalasar, Vayotsʼ Dzor (አርሜኒያ)

Viewed 1030 times, downloaded 27 times

Trail photos

Photo ofHermon, Karmrashen, Herher, Herher Water Reservoir Photo ofHermon, Karmrashen, Herher, Herher Water Reservoir Photo ofHermon, Karmrashen, Herher, Herher Water Reservoir

Itinerary description

Mountain Biking Trail Description
This biking trail passes through the Hermon and Herher villages, in Vayots Dzor province. It is located 32km east of Vayk, on the right bank of the Arpa River. The trail leads from Hermon village by a gravel road right up to the top of a hill, at a height of 2,240m. From this height, you may view the uncountable mountains of this province and feel the warmth of the sun. Vayots Dzor is a region of valleys and gorges, streams and rivers, high mountains and mysterious caves.
Leaving Goghtanik village on the left, you will descend via a zigzag gravel road to the valley of the Herher River. Riding along the Herher River, you will cross the Karmrashen and Herher villages, and later, the Herher water reservoir. Riding for another 1-2km, you will reach the end of the trail.

Monuments description
The St. Sion Convent includes two churches and a chapel (8th century) and is located 1km northeast of Herher. The Saint Astvatsatsin Church (13th century), south of St. Sion, is also a nave vaulted church. There are khachkars (cross-stones) with texts from the 13th -17th centuries, in the cemetery of the convent. The Saint Gevorg (Saint George) church (19th century) is a three-nave basilica with two pairs of pillars, located in the village. The dilapidated chapel of St. Gregory the Illuminator (Saint Grigor Lusavorich) (1296) and the small, Saint Gevorg (St. George) (1,297) are located south of Herher. The small Kapuyt fortress (13th – 14th centuries) is located at top of the mountain, 1km southeast of Herher. The splendid Hermon monastery (Knevank, 9th – 15th centuries) is located on the mountain, 3km south-west of the village of Hermon.

Herher Water Reservoir
This is an artificial reservoir in Vayots Dzor province, intended for supplying water for irrigation of fields, pastures and other residential areas of the community.

The flora of Vayots Dzor province is lush and diverse, with sunny mountain slopes, variegated flowers and shrubs that will accompany you till the end of the trail. Winter is severe in this province, and summer is very hot. Reed and bulrush are widespread in this province, particularly in Yeghegnazor. Two species of juniper and several species of wild pear, typical of the area, grow in the sparse woods. There are numerous flowers and blooming shrubs. The blooming flowers provide nectar for bees from spring till autumn, that is why apiculture is also a major industry in the Vayots Dzor province. Such medical herbs as sage, chamomile, thyme, mariamakhot (Teucrium polium), mint, and more, grow in this area.

There are bezoar goats and Armenian mouflons in Vayots Dzor province, who are protected by the state. The Caucasus, with its 500 species of animals is one of the districts of the world, where the majority of animals living there, are registered in the Red Book. Among them are the Armenian mouflons and bezoar goats, who can be found in the Khosrov Reserve, Vayots Dzor province and Zangezur Mountain range, in Armenia. There are also bears, wild boars, wolves, red foxes, wild rabbits, rodents, such reptiles as green lizards, frogs and snakes (adder, Gurza), and more, in the forests.

Safety and Security
Ucom and Viva Cell-MTS networks are always available in the territories between the village of Hermon to Herher, and the Herher water reservoir. In case of an emergency, call 911, a service available throughout Armenia. Beware of dogs guarding flocks of sheep.

Technical parameters
Best period: April -November
Distance: 144km from Yerevan
Duration: 2 hours 26min.
Biking trail length: 34km.
Ride duration: 3 hours 30 min.
Altitude from sea level:1318-2240m .
80% of the road is covered with sandstones, the remaining 20% is asphalted.
The best drink to have on hand is bottled water.

How to Reach the Trail
To reach the above-mentioned trail, you need to get to Hermon village, in the Vayots Dzor province. It is most convenient to travel by taxi. Taxi services are quite affordable throughout Armenia. We recommend taking a cab with a taximeter.


PictographWaypoint Altitude 5,269 ft


PictographWaypoint Altitude 4,324 ft



    You can or this trail